Welcome to Brentford FC


Brentford FC is based in Brentford, Greater London and are nicknamed “the Bees’.

The club was founded in 1889 and played home matches at Griffin Park for 116 years from 1904 before moving to the state-of-the-art Brentford Community Stadium in 2020. 

The club is owned by Matthew Benham. After revealing himself as the ‘mystery investor’ that bailed the club out of a hole to the tune of half of a million pounds, Benham became the owner of the club in 2012 and has so far pumped over £90 million into the first team and club infrastructure. Benham is a lifelong Bees fan, attending his first Brentford game as an 11-year-old in 1979 against Colchester, a game that the Bees won 1-0.

When Brentford FC was originally founded in 1889, they chose club colours of salmon, claret and light blue, the same as Brentford Rowing Club who were formed at the same time, although the salmon was dropped from the colours even before a ball was kicked!

Their first game took place on a field behind the Wesleyan Chapel, covered today by Clifden Road. The early Brentford Football Club players would use the Griffin pub to change into claret and light blue striped shirts and white shorts. In those days Brentford for a short spell were known as the Bonny Boys, but Griffin Park, their previous stadium, was named after this pub. 

Brentford’s nickname, “The Bees” was unintentionally created by students of Borough Road College in the 1890s, when they attended a match and shouted the college’s chant “Buck up Bs” in support of their friend and then-Brentford player Joseph Gettins. Local newspapers misheard the chant as “Buck up Bees” and the nickname stuck.