Welcome to Stamford Bridge, the home of Chelsea Football Club
The Shed End was once named the Fulham Road End. However, the fans’ nickname for it, referring to the strange roof added to keep bookmakers dry at greyhound races, became so popular the club adopted it officially.
The original stadium at Stamford Bridge was made up of huge banks, which were constructed using the earth excavated when digging the Piccadilly Line.
Away fans used to sit next to the tunnel and the dug-outs in the East Stand, but were moved further away from the players to the Shed End at the request of then-manager Jose Mourinho in 2005.
Stamford Bridge was briefly the home of the FA Cup, hosting three finals in a row at the start of the 1920s, although Chelsea didn’t get the chance to play an FA Cup final on home turf.
Part of the old Shed End terrace is still standing at Stamford Bridge – the large wall running alongside the new stand of the same name and displaying plaques honouring some of the greatest players in our history.
The weather vane which has sat on top of the East Stand for decades is modelled on former striker George Hilsdon, who became the first person to score 100 goals for Chelsea in 1910.
Chelsea are one of only three Premier League clubs to have played in the same stadium for their entire history, the other two being Liverpool (Anfield) and Sheffield United (Bramall Lane).
Legendary Chelsea striker Peter Osgood’s ashes were laid to rest under the Stamford Bridge pitch’s penalty spot, in front of the Shed End.
The Chelsea dressing room at the Bridge has the slogan ‘This is our home’ painted in large letters across the floor, as well as inspirational words and phrases on the walls.
Stamford Bridge is not actually located in Chelsea, but just over the border in the neighbouring London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.