Welcome to Selhurst Park – the home of Crystal Palace Football Club


Crystal Palace actually used to play their home games within the grounds of The Crystal Palace, which also hosted FA Cup finals until 1914

Because of their original home ground, the club’s went under the nicknames of the Glaziers and the Crystals before they became commonly known as the Eagles in the early 1970s.

Palace’s first home shirts were claret and blue. E.F. Goodman was the club’s first secretary-manager and, as a former Aston Villa employee, brought some Villa shirts down with him to kit out his new club.

Their winger Jason Puncheon, who joined Palace from Saints on a permanent deal in the summer, picked up Southampton’s Goal of the Season award for the 2012/13 season thanks to his volley against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Crystal Palace are the only team in Premier League history to have been relegated after finishing fourth bottom. This happened at the end of the 1994/95 season, when the number of teams competing in the division was cut from 22 to 20.

Palace have been the sole tenants of Selhurst Park since 2003, when Wimbledon – who they were ground sharing with – relocated to Milton Keynes. They had been sharing the ground with the Dons since 1991.

Geographically it may come as a surprise, but Palace’s most heated rivalry is with Championship side Brighton and Hove Albion, the origins of which can be traced back to the 1940s.

Palace currently hold the record for the most number of relegations from the Premier League. They went down in 1993, 1995, 1998 and 2005.

The club have had seven permanent managers in five years. One of those bosses, Neil Warnock, has had two spells in the Eagles hotseat during that time.